I know it’s been a while since I have documented my progress on this rough draft. It looks like it’s been six weeks — whew! That’s a long time. So what have I been up to in the mean time? Being stuck mostly. But I pushed through it and finally have completed my goal of completing the First Draft.
Let’s take a look at a few key stats (since I log all my work hours for learning purposes). My original goal was to create a rough draft in 4 weeks, 1 month. All in all, it took 13 weeks which is a quarter of a year, one season. Hey, better late than never right? I have to admit that while falling short of my goal, this is still the quickest Rough Draft I’ve written on my own without the guidance and deadlines of a class, so my spirits are still up!
Here’s those key stats:
- 13 weeks since beginning outlining
- 4 weeks were outlining, drafting, brainstorming and free writing
- 9 weeks (+ 2 days) to complete the Rough Draft since starting pages
- 32.5 total Project Hours (PH) / 103 total Writer’s Room Hours (WR)
- Act One: 1 Week (+ 2 days)
- 5 writing days total
- 9 PH / 26.5 WR
- Act Two: 7 Weeks (obviously the barren wasteland of struggle)
- 12 writing days total
- 18.5 PH / 40.5 WR
- Act Three: 1 Week (+ 1 day)
- 4 writing days
- 5 PH / 14 WR
So that’s the long and the short for it. I wish I had some more insights to share at this point but I don’t. I’m on the giddy high of being able to say, “I completed the First Draft!” Naturally, as we all know, there’s already stuff in my mind and on a list that needs going over, but that’s for another day. As of right now, Draft One is complete.
I’ll do a more complete blog post in the next few days. And no, I’m not going to read what I have just yet.